Nature & Adventure
Amahoro Tours can organize a variety of exciting activities for your visit to Rwanda.
Volcanoes National Park
All activities are offered in cooperation with the ORTPN park authorities, and tours will be accompanied and guided by park staff and guards).
- 1/2 day mountain gorilla trekking (including a guaranteed 1 hour with the great apes) [please note that children below 15 are not allowed to trek the gorillas]
- 1 day hiking and mountain climbing (Mt. Bisoke – 3,711m)
- 2 days hiking and mountain climbing (Mt. Karisimbi – 4,507m, overnight camping)
- Golden Monkey trekking
- Visit to the Karisoke Research Centre
- Visit to the tomb of the legendary Dian Fossey
- Nature walk (volcano flora and fauna)
Nyungwe National Park
All activities are offered in cooperation with ORTPN park authorities).
- Chimpanzee trekking
- Colobus monkey trekking and nature walk (13 species of primates, 300 species of birds, 250 species of trees, hundreds of different flowering plants including 100 species of orchids)
- Lake cruises between popular resort towns such as Cyangugu, Kibuye and Gisenyi
- Water sport facilities in Kibuye
- Nature discovery tours around the many deserted islands with largely unexplored natural attractions
- Napoleon’s Hat Island: Climb to the top of Napoleon’s hat and experience of thousands of bats darkening the sky
- Island of Peace: Swimming, relaxing, beach volleyball, eating and drinking, watching the sunset
- Hot springs near Gisenyi (boiling of eggs while taking a swim in the heated waters of the adjacent Lake Kivu)
- Hot springs of Bugarama (springs bubbling up into a large green pool)
Twin Lakes Burera and Ruhondo / Musanze Cave
- Nature discovery tours in traditional canoes (breathtaking landscape, wetland habitat, water birds)
- Exploration tour to the Musanze Cave (near Ruhengeri): The lava flow from an earlier volcanic eruption formed a natural bridge
Community Activities in Musanze (Ruhengeri)
You may involve yourself in community activities that are available outside of the Volcanoes NP.
You can choose to do some of activities after Gorilla trekking if you staying longer in Ruhengeri.
1. Take a walk from Musanze to the Basket weaving group of women, the walk take almost 1.30hr through the Village $10 pp OR take a motor Bike for $1. We would recommend for our guest to buy the basket from the women group, as the is the only way you can support community based tourism. The guide gets paid separately.
2. Mountain Hike of Rugalika, the hike starts from Red rocks, and leads you to the school where by you will be welcomed by the school, which is on top of the Mountain ,if you arrive there by break time you will get to have a short interaction with the kids from the school before the enter to there classes. If time permits you can continue your walk up to Kabere health center. Estimated time for the tour, 6-8 hours. $17 per person.
3. Story telling from the local people in the village, this kind of tour will give you an inside way of the Rwandan cultural and History that will give you a picture of the past and the present. Estimated time is 2-3 hours depending on how many questions you have to ask. $30 per group.
4. Banana Beer production, take time and enjoy making the banana beer and get to know how its made taste it if you want and enjoy the interaction with the people involved. $25 per person.
5. Take a walk around Musanze town, walk through one of villages in Musanze, you will be able to see the real Rwandan life while enjoying the views of surrounding volcanoes. Visit the 2 markets in the city, if you’re a Bird Lover, Hike behind the Amahoro Tours office, and get to see different types of birds while enjoying the view of all the Volcanoes Take your food and drink as it’s a good sport for the picnic too. $10 per person.
6. Home stay stay overnight with friendly Rwandan family, eat local food (help to prepare it), see how local live and listen to the stories. $35 per person.
7. Rwanda is famous for Traditional dance, visit one of our group that will not only let you see what there are doing but will invite you into their dance. $150 per group.
8. Would you like to learn more about the daily life in the village, take basic lesson of Kinyarwanda or Swahilli, with the Host. $10 per person.
9. For those who would like to give back to the community, while teaching them any kind of skills are always welcome , just contact us and we are happy to arrange it for you – Free 10- Enjoy Biking in the Village seeing beautiful sceneries and talking to the Villagers in their daily routines.You may decide to bike towards the main town where you can stop for any bargains before heading back to the Village. $30 per person
11. Organic Farming: Over the centuries farmers in Rwanda have developed their own special methods of sustainable farming processes. Some selected plantations are regularly visited by our groups, and visitors are always impressed by the comprehensive thoughts given to the activities and the sophisticated traditional methods used. Farming products include fruits such as bananas, as well as vegetables such as manioc, sweet potatoes or millet. $40 per person
12. Lakes Bulera & Ruhondo – This two compellingly beautiful twin lakes , located just adjacent of the volcanoes. The lake circuit offers breath taking sceneries. You may take a local canoe boat and explore nearby Islands or even go fishing with local fishermen on the lakes. $80 per group (max 6 persons)